Saturday, February 2, 2008

i sold my soul on ebay and other purchases

thanks to those who stopped by to check on me. your comments left meant so much on those days. it was a mixed week. busyness and fatigue got the worst of me. i stopped by to visit blogs and if it took too much brain power i just read and moved on. i hope you understand. i hope to have a better blogging week this week. you all mean so much to me.

i sold my soul on ebay is the name of the latest book i purchased. i had a barnes and noble gift card from my daughter for almost a year now, how bad is that. the author is hemant mehta. he is an atheist who auctioned off the opportunity to the winning bidder to send him to church. a former pastor won the auction. he describes in this book how the gospel is being presented in churches and how it affected his belief system. i think at the end of the book he is still an atheist. i first saw him on Life Today and his story interested me.




i also bought when the darkness will not lift by john piper sub title: doing what we can while we wait for God-and joy. here is a quote from the back cover "it is utterly crucial that in our darkness we affirm the wise, strong hand of God to hold us, even when we have no strength to hold Him". it is a quick read 79 short pages but if you know piper it will be jam packed with biblical truth. as a side note, his annual pastors conference is this monday and tuesday and it is dedicated to his own father who went home this last year as my dad did. my dear brother will be there, still raw from my dad's home going. i pray he will find comfort there.




lastly, i bought shepherd's notes on c.s.lewis mere christianity. it says it is the most concise and accurate way to grasp the essentials. i want to read this book as i know most of you have and i want to get the most out of it that i can. it looked interesting so i picked it up.




if i were to give this main stream bookstore a grade on their christian book section i would probably give them a "c". not so surprising, i know. they did have a decent christian representation in this section. hey they had piper, that surprised me some.

i then had to venture to the cookbook section. i love to read cookbooks. it is hopeless. i love to read them, buy them and occassionally make something but reading them and looking at the pictures is what i mostly do. i don't know what that says about me, well i sort of do and i don't care i love to look at cookbooks. i'll buy a cookbook for only one or two recipes. i saw the most amazing breakfast something in this book. it looked like an open crepe in a pan filled with berries sitting in a custardy something. this is on my ongoing amazon wish list. when i do buy this book i will make this good looking berry "something" and let you know.

thanks for stopping by. have a blessed sunday in the Lord. may our worship and praise be found worthy. ~janel

5 comments:

Jubilee on Earth said...

I love new book recommendations! I'm sorry you had a hard week. I know this week will be better for you.

Stop on by and read my latest blog entry... I need everyone to help me spread The Word!

~Maria

jennyhope said...

i think i need the one by piper...please let me know what you think when you get into it. Hope you have a great week Janel. I had me a bad one this week. I just desperately need more of Him

Fran said...

That first book sounds so interesting....I would love to know what you thought of it.

And...I sure do hope that this week is better for you! I truly get so happy to see your name pop up in comments.

I'm praying for you and your precious family Janel. Thanks for being a light in my life.

Much love~
Fran

Profbaugh said...

Janel,

Do you realize what a blessing you are??? Seriously, my Siesta--your encouragement has meant so much to me that words just don't do it justice!!

Oh how I wish I could have gone book shopping with you. I got a gift card too that's just itching to be used!!!

Take good care of yourself my sister in Christ and know that you are truly loved.

~Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I LOVE books!

Piper's book---excellent, I think it will really minister and encourage you.

I'm interested on the notes for CS Lewis' book. I've never heard of that one.

And the E-bay book intrigues me---I'll have to see if the library has it.

I'll be in prayer for your brother! :)