Thursday, December 13, 2007

wwud

can i get your opinion on something.

i am getting someone age 19 a bible as one of their presents for christmas. this someone is not a christian and has probably never opened a bible. i have given bibles before and the one i picked that time was a niv study bible. i can't remember which one but this guy/kid was going into the air force just after high school. two years ago he stopped us on our drive way getting out of our car after church one sunday nearly bowling us down to say thanks for the bible in earlier years he reads it and is a regular church attender and so is his brother. we were totally blown away....totally had no idea if the thing ever got taken out of it's box.

i have also given a bible with a very nice binding but no extras, notes, maps. my thought is would you ever give "the message" as a gift to a nonbeliever. i know the Holy Spirit can move a person's heart any time, any place but i am just not sure yet what we are going to give and would appreciate your wise counsel.

this person is very close to our family. would you even pray a blessing over this gift that his eyes be opened, his heart would be soft and that the Holy Spirit would be willing to move him to believe.

thank you dear ones. i look forward to what you have to say.

15 comments:

nancygrayce said...

Our pastor is often asked the question, "which translation of the Bible is best". I love his reply, "the one you read". I just said a little prayer for this person. I pray daily for my own sons that God will open the eyes of their hearts that they might see and know Him!

Profbaugh said...

Well, I think "The Message" would be totally appropriate for a 19-year old who is not a Christian. It's very, very readable and might just be a way to draw them into reading it. I especially like the Remix version which has the verse numbering that the original doesn't.

If you want to go with a non-paraphrase Bible, I'd suggest The Quest Bible (NIV). It answers questions about the text in the left hand column. Again, it makes the text very understandable.

Be sure to post what you decide and how they react.

Keep planting those seeds.
~Cheryl

Angela Baylis said...

I don't think you can go wrong with any NIV Bible. I have a son who is 21 and unfortunately he doesn't read his like I wish. But, some seeds have been planted and I am sure he will read it one day! Maybe get one with a cool cover on it. I don't think it matters. I will pray for for this guy and I admire you for sharing the best gift ever with him! I know God will bless you because of it!
Thank you for your obedience!
Much love,
Angie xoxo

jennyhope said...

oh praying for sure! i love this post. The Word means EVERYTHING to me. I would be nowhere without Jesus and His word. I praise Him so much for that.
I think NIV is the way to go. That is just my opinion =)

Midwest Nest said...

I bought my husband a new bible this year that is the Message and NIV together. My bible study ladies really like the Message. I'm looking forward to using it some too.

Prayers for your 19 year old friend.

Midwest Nest said...

To answer your question on my blog. The Publisher is Zondervan. The bible is called NIV/The Message Parallel Bible. I bought it at an outlet. The store was called Christian Publishers Warehouse. A lot cheaper than what I see online with Zondervan.

AbbyLane said...

i just turned 23 and i have both the NIV and the message, and i love them both...i think either would be appropriate :)

praying for this situation for you..

Fran said...

Hey Janel...
I am torn between the Message and the NIV. I would go the route of Cheryls suggestion if you do the Message though....the Remix. I love all that the NIV has with it though...I have both and use both for different things. But, the first one I began to use is the NIV. And it is my life.

I am praying for you and that precious 19 yr old. We are all praying hard for the entire situation. Remember how patient God is and how He works so beautifully.

He will bless those who honor Him.
The seeds are planted and we pray for the ground to be fertile to receive.

I love ya...and I'm praying!
Blessings~
Fran

BethAnne said...

I too have the NIV/Message - they are in one hardbound copy. I love to read the Message although, I think the author used a lot of freedom in his translation. I got mine at WalMart, but I have also seen it at Lifeway. Oh I pray that boy comes to Jesus!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

personally i think i'd go with NIV w/ a cool cover...since it's first one...but the message is a good choice too...

i was totally TONGUE IN CHEEK saying 1-2 sentences...if that were the case...i couldn't blog...LOL...you can write a chapter on my comments...i just try to keep in mind that most people aren't interested in reading my epiphanies or soliloquys...i struggle to keep it short, oh well! take your time on mine! i love your comments!!!!!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Tried to comment but am having computer problems tonight. I DROPPED my computer---do you think that's the problem? LOL Thank you so much for your very kind words to me. You can leave paragraphs on my blog any day! We reached our goal of 123 sponsors for orphans...isn't that awesome? I only personally had met 7 of the 123 who sponsored---they all came from the LPM blog...unbelievable!

thouartloosed said...

Janel,
I think this young man is blessed to have you in his life following God's lead to give him a bible! I gave my kids NIV's because of the study notes-it's readable and has helps if they need it...not that they read it. And it's what the pastor reads from in our church.
Saying a prayer for God's direction and this special young man.
kathy

jennyhope said...

your comments meant so much to me! Seriously! I really needed to hear that. you have no idea. Thank you so much for your sweet heart!!

jennyhope said...

I have had all of those bibles. it took me years to fall in love with the one I have which I would not recommend for a first time bible. What about the Life Application in the NIV? Or the NIV study bible. I saw that you got thinline and quest...am I right?
LOL on the bday party! She cracked me up!!

jennyhope said...

I really think that the study bible is good and I would go with Ryrie if you can find that to. Also, I think I would get him one he could take to church and the message isn't used as much from preachers. I think it is good to read and is poetic...on your own. I am just partial to the NIV because it is user friendly! ha ha
no but NLT takes out specific references to gender like instead of he they and etc. I used to have that version for several years. I have the Key Word study and I LOVE IT. I recommend that for you! It shows you greek hebrew and aramaic