Tuesday, September 2, 2008

mom ~ prayer

my sister and i took mom to the doctor last thursday. mom's symptoms are wanting to sleep 24/7. she can hardly force herself to stay awake. going to er is out of the question...probably ever. her dr. did blood work and took her oxygen. it was 71. she asked mom how much she smoked per day. my mom's countenance fell like a rock...she quit 20 years ago, bless her heart. the one accomplishment she is so very proud of herself about, the doctor thought otherwise. she said after 55 years of smoking it was the hardest thing she ever did. we saw her try and try again only to fail until finally the Lord gave her the desire of her heart. we were all so amazed.

going to the doctor that day was a huge undertaking. she is the kind of woman who never wants to let people see her look bad. she had to have her hair washed and rolled 3 days before the dr. appointment then not comb it out until that day, and wear her makeup. washing her hair, no just getting the stuff she needed to the kitchen sink was exhausting and she was out of breath and had so sit down first for a while.

so tonight at 6pm the medical supply company is arriving with the dreaded oxygen. if this doesn't work, we think it may be her heart. she has congestive heart failure too. we didn't talk to this doctor about that because she sees a cardiologist and we have not gone in with her at those appointments in the past because she would not let us.

mom is a woman who's entire self esteem is taking care of her family and home. she is at a standstill right now and she isn't handling it well, i'm scared she is giving up. her and i talk 2 to 3 times a day. she means everything to me. i will write about her again soon.

please pray this oxygen makes a difference in her health. she keeps telling us she is a burden and that can't be farther from the truth. after my dad died mom read the entire new testament out of her scofield bible. her eyes gave her fits but she needed to have that done before He called her home, i know that was what she was doing.

this is so, so very hard. my mom is my very best friend. i just don't know if i can do this.

6 comments:

BethAnne said...

Hey Janel!!! I will be praying for your mom....and YOU CAN DO IT!!! I know you are facing some uphill battles, but our God works miracles in the toughest places ! Praying for you too!

thouartloosed said...

Janel, I am praying for you. This must be so very, very hard.
Kathy

Fran said...

Isaiah 41:29-31 is my prayer for you today Janel. And your sweet, sweet momma.

I'm covering you and your mom ok?
Please let me know how she is doing and specifics we can keep praying for.

I love ya!! Let Him be your strength.
Hugs,
Fran

Mari said...

I'm so sorry you are going through this. First I have to tell you that I would be very surprised if your mom didn't feel better with oxygen. An O2 saturation of 71% is extremely low and it is no wonder that she is so tired. Second - I have 2 sisters and we always said that we didn't know how we were going to make it when something happened to our parents. My mom died 5 years ago and although it was very hard, we all said we could feel God's strength. When it does happen with your Mom - you will make it through and you will feel God's strength and the prayers of others.
Let me know how she does on the oxygen. I'll be praying for you and your Mom.

Profbaugh said...

Oh my!! I'm praying for you and for your mom. May this oxygen do the trick and bring her the energy she needs.

Much love,
~Cheryl

jennyhope said...

Keep us updated and know I am praying.