Monday, May 12, 2008




Lord, prop us up.



Every time I am asked to pray, I think of the old deacon who always prayed, "Lord, prop us up on our leanin' side. " After hearing him pray that prayer many times, someone asked him why he prayed that prayer so fervently. He answered, 'Well sir, you see, it's like this...I got an old barn out back. It's been there a long time, it's withstood a lot of weather, it's gone through a lot of storms, and it's stood for many years. It's still standing. But one day I noticed it was leaning to one side a bit. So I went and got some pine poles and propped it up on its leaning side so it wouldn't fall. Then I got to thinking about that and how much I was like that old barn. I've been around a long time. I've withstood a lot of life's storms I've withstood a lot of bad weather in life, I've withstood a lot of hard times, and I'm still standing too. But I find myself leaning to one side from time to time, so I like to ask the Lord to prop us up on our leaning side, cause I figure a lot of us get to leaning, at times. Sometime we get to leaning toward anger, leaning toward bitterness, leani ng toward hatred, leaning toward wrong language, leaning toward a lot of things that we shouldn't. So we need to pray, 'Lord, prop us up on our leaning side, so we will stand straight and tall again, to glorify the Lord.

If you stare at this barn for a couple of seconds you will see who will help us stand straight and tall again.



20 comments:

Mari said...

This is a really good reminder! I see quite a few old barns out here and will remember that story when I see one that's leaning.

Anonymous said...

The picture is awesome. I love this post.

Fran said...

AMEN! And, beautiful too!

Hope y'all are well and having a good week. Happy belated Mothers Day to a FANTASTIC momma!!

Hugs~
Fran

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Tried to post and lost it...let me try again...Your heartfelt humble words to me tonight fell on my needy ears and they were beautiful words of repentant tears not despairing tears. No need to despair for He is your beautiful God no matter what. And all we can deal with is our own stuff. You get it! And that is so compelling to me. I think we will meet someday. Your God is wooing you....Hosea 7:14. Much Love to you, Bev

Tonja said...

Powerful story! Thanks for sharing this. Have a happy Sunday!

PJ said...

I just surfed over from a comment on another blog. Love the "leanin' side" story. AND...that's a wonderful picture of the old barn. God knows just what we need...I needed the leanin' side story right now!

jennyhope said...

HOW NEAT AND WHAT A WONDERFUL POST!! AMEN AND AMEN

thouartloosed said...

Yes. Leaning toward something besides Him. I like it.
Kathy

Fran said...

Just checking on you sweet friend.

Hope y'all are having a fabulous weekend and life is good for you!

Big hugs~
Fran

jennyhope said...

maybe that is the reason for all of my vivid dreams! your story had me CRACKING UP!!!

Sheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by and for the encouraging words. Since I wrote that post about God "consuming" all of it, He has brought so many more things to mind. I may have to stay with that theme for awhile. Hope all is with you, I check in often.

-Sheryl

jennyhope said...

just stopping in to say hey! I hope you are doing well!!

BethAnne said...

Just checking in on my friend Janel,,,,,hope all is well with you!

thouartloosed said...

Miss you, Janel. Hope all is well.
Kathy

jennyhope said...

where on earth are you???

Fran said...

Hi Janel..
You are on my heart. Praying for you and your family today.

much love,
Fran

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Just stopping by to say hello and hope that all is well with Janel!
Missing you!

becky said...

Phenomenal post...the pic is awesome!

thouartloosed said...

Miss you Janel. Praying for you!

Jubilee on Earth said...

Wow, great post, Janel. How've you been? About your comment, I know!!!! I read that yesterday and I about fell off my chair. I cannot believe what this world is coming to. I'm glad my grandmother is in heaven, because this news would've really upset her.

Well, all we can do is pray. And feel humbled and blessed to be a part of these exciting times.

Hugs and blessings,
~Maria

(www.jubileeonearth.com)